12.09.14 Culham Court
On the 10th of September there was a garden party at Culham Court in aid of the Garden Museum. Christopher Woodward was halfway through his epic fundraising swim from Oxford to London. Friends of the Garden Museum were also kindly invited and had a chance to look around the garden, which Tom has been working on for about 4 years now.
Inside the walled garden a bronze pavilion designed by Jamie Fobert and a canal leading from it guides the eye across the rich planting of the garden to the hill beyond where the Chapel, still being built, will eventually stand. The late season Molinia caerulea Poul Petersen is prominent on either side of the canal.
Tom's drawings were displayed to help understand the overall structure of the garden.
The formal axial garden by the house was laid out by Raymond Erith about a century ago with terraces stepping down to the River Thames. Crayfish shaped flower beds were introduced on the middle terrace with Italianate fountains, with box balls at the edge like stage lights.
Huge thanks to the amazing owners Urs and Francesca Schwarzenbach who organised a wonderful party and ferried guests up and down the river on their 1901 steamboat, the Windsor Belle. The house seen from the river at dusk with flocks of geese overhead is an unforgettable sight.
Christopher's swim follows the route of the Tradescant's Treasures on the way to Lambeth Palace. Please sponsor him and donate @JustGiving.
More information can be viewed here.